"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed."

Psalm 82 v 3

Donations and Gifting

Friday, June 12, 2009

BSN

Because of many reasons, one being the ability to keep and get work, I am finishing my Bachelor's Degree. Although I thought I would NEVER EVER say this, I am completing my Bachelor's Degree in Nursing in order to keep my options open becoming a Nurse Practitioner in the future. It is weird for sure because I have always had conflicting feelings about being a nurse, although I am glad for the people I do help.

So, here's the thing:

In class an interesting topic about nurse practitioners and physicians and licensure and titles came up. Chiropractors are called Dr's. Psychologists and professors who hold pHD's are called Dr.'s. Physician's Assistants are also often called Dr. Physician's are called Dr.'s. A physician who is a GP and Nurse Practitioners who hold doctorates have the same level of education, must both pass license exams, and both have the ability to diagnose, treat, and prescribe. Even though a Nurse Practitioner is also a Registered Nurse, should a Nurse Practitioner who holds a doctorate also be called a Dr.? She would obviously had earned the right for the title by all the licensing and education she completed. PA's don't clarify that they are PA's very often, but are still given the courtesy of being called a Dr. My personal opinion is yes an NP with a Doctorate in Nursing has earned the right to the title "Dr."! When MD's specialize, they have lots of letters after their names. When an RN advances her nursing practice, she or he too earns additional letters after her name such as RN, DSN, NP.

What is yours?

No comments:

I Will Be With You Wherever You Go

I WILL BE WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO !
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9


We have a heart for orphaned children, abandoned children, special needs children, parents of each of these children, adoption, Liberia, Ethiopia, Africa, and the Children in Need of Loving Homes around the World and our prayers are with each of them.

Parent Support - Join - Academy of the Possible

Followers